When we are addressing triggers and trying to heal from traumatic experiences, we need to change the stories we tell ourselves. Have you ever had an extremely emotional response to something that turned out to be pretty trivial? Well, looking back at that moment, you can probably reconstruct the story you told yourself. They often go something like this:
Better not forget my bag on the bus
Yeah, you’re going to forget that bag, and it’s going to cause problems
You can’t be trusted even to bring along your husband’s things
See, you’re a failure at EVERYTHING
You are worthless!
Or at least, that’s how my brain would respond to such a thing happening. Of course, you won’t forget the bag… but it’s a rabbit hole.
So, how do you stop that story of doom from running through your mind every time something unexpected happens? That’s what today’s podcast is about.
Mags explains how you can change the stories that are triggered and create lasting change.
- To change the stories, we have to address how we feel about our triggers.
- We cannot change from a place of fear.
- Desensitising is a great strategy, but we can’t bully ourselves in that process
- Encouraging ourselves from a loving compassionate place means taking baby steps
- It also means celebrating all the progress we make
Listen To More Episodes Here
Mags and the team are here to help you get out of constant survival mode and build a life filled with love and laughter. Are you ready to build a better relationship with yourself, and the people around you? We are here to help!